Sunday, June 26, 2005

Disaster... Averted

I flew home from Calgary on Friday night. I got my book and my iPod all ready before I boarded, taking them out of my work bag. I started to read before the plane took off, but couldn't stay awake (you might recall the 4 hours of sleep the night before) so I put the book down and took a nap. I slept for pretty much the whole flight, and didn't even get a drink and bag of cheese crackers when the flight attendant came by. After we landed I got off, got my suitcase and took the shuttle to my car. It wasn't until I put the suitcase in the car that I realized I had left my iPod in the seat-back pocket in front of me.

MOTHERFUCKER!!!!

I hurried back to the airport, got a security pass and went to the gate where I had come in. The plane I had arrived on had already left for Santa Barbara. I left a voicemail with the airline's Lost and Found number, but that gave me no hope at all. I talked to Baggage Services and got the phone number for the airline at the Santa Barbara airport. I talked to someone and she said she would check on the plane when it arrived. At about midnight, the phone rang. It was the airline woman, and she had found my iPod. I gave her my company's FedEx account number for them to send it back to me. It should be here in a couple of days. Man, was I relieved.

This is the second time something like this has happened this year. A couple months ago my cell phone fell out of my coat pocket in the cab to the Calgary airport. Luckily the driver put the cab number on the receipt (which no other driver ever does) and it was found and sent back to me. I've got to stop being so careless because I know I won't continue to be so lucky.

You were all so worried that I wouldn't be able to post my iPod shuffle selections, weren't you?