Tuesday, April 19, 2005

The Post-Epic Poem Hangover

I don't have much to say after the Legend, so I'm picking up the Book Meme baton.

If you haven't heard of this, someone (see my theory below) started this blog thing where you get asked these frustrating book questions, answer them, and then pass them on to three other people.

Now, I may SEEM well-read, but I don't read much, and don't remember much from what I have read. I don't buy the hot books like the big new Founding Father biography or the heart-wrenching family tragedy. I don't like hard-cover books because they're hard to read in bed and take on a plane, so that explains the lack of sophistication and hipness in my answers.

Here goes:

1. You're stuck inside Fahrenheit 451, which book do you want to be?

I haven't read the book, but I just read a synopsis online. I would want to memorize a book that would be important for people to be able to read after the revolution, not necessarily a book that I really liked. But in this case, it's both: To Kill a Mockingbird. (I'm not going to link any titles because I suspect Amazon started this whole damn meme-thing to get free online advertising.)

2. Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?

That would have to be Biddy, from Great Expectations. I don't know why, but I liked her, and I was pissed when I found out she married Joe (instead of Pip). I should read the whole book someday, since we only had a condensed version in our text book.

3. The last book you bought is?

Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson.

4. What are you currently reading?

Cryptonomicon squeezed in between "Entertainment Weekly"s

5. Five books you would take to a deserted island:

Uhhhhhhhhhh...
-US Army Survival Manual: FM 21-76
-Frederick Copleston's History of Philosophy, Vols. 1-3
-Critique of Pure Reason by Immanuel Kant (Can you tell I was a philosophy major in college?)
-Godel Escher Bach, An Eternal Golden Braid because it seems very intriguing, and I'm a big Bach fan.
-Anna Karenina, by Tolstoy because I've wanted to read it, but I'm way too lazy to actually pick it up.
[I wanted to bring something funny, but I couldn't think of anything that wouldn't wear out pretty damn quickly except for my complete Doonesbury opus. If I can't have them all, I don't want any of them.]

6. Who are you going to pass this stick to (3 persons) and why?

Let's see, who do I hate? Just kidding. I guess I'll send it to two bloggers I don't think have done it, and who I haven't passed something to already: Rachel and The Sarcastrix, whom I certainly won't judge should they pass up this life-altering opportunity. The third will be Vegetable Medley. I'll try to get him to email me his answers and I'll post them. If he doesn't, I'll make up embarrassing answers for him.

In other news, I'm seriously considering putting "Roulette Systems" by Hey Mercedes on my list of Perfect Songs. This is a short list of songs written incredibly well, with structures, chords and melodies divine, and lyrics that complement the music and meter, well, perfectly. The List includes:

"Everlong" by Foo Fighters
"No Myth" by Michael Penn
"Limelight" by Rush
"Annihilate Now" and "Mistake Pageant" by Idlewild
"Spiceman" by Thanks to Gravity

I'm obviously a big fan of Hey Mercedes (my ticket for the last show came in the mail this week!) but I've had rotating favorite songs with them. They've outdone themselves with this song, though. Too bad they won't have the chance to write more candidates for the list.

I love Uchenna and Joyce on The Amazing Race! I'm bummed about Lynn and Alex getting the boot, though.

Let's all wish "congratulations" to Jade, who had her baby a couple weeks ago! And say "hello" to little Sarah.

I've had my share of stress at my job, but the worst stress it gives is on my marriage. I'm sorry, Sweetie. I know that you support me and believe in me. We never should have started discussing work tonight. At least our talk made me miss Constantine on Idol, though (I'm not kidding).

Thank you so much for the card. (She hides sweet cards in my work bag before I leave on trips. Told you my wife was better than yours.)

Holy shit, The Rutles is on TV! Sweet! I never noticed the George Harrison cameo before! Neil Innes is a genius. "Cheese and Onions." Hahaha!

I'll stop rambling now. Good night, all.