Monday, March 28, 2005

"I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T! I mean, S-M-A-R-T!"

I had it all figured out. I was going to be responsible and get plenty of sleep. I was going to enjoy my lonesome hotel nights and not feel the crushing weight of wardrobe obligations. It was one of the most brilliant ideas known to Mankind. I decided to do ALL of my ironing for the week on my first night in Calgary. Delta tried to stop me, by canceling my first flight and getting me into town an hour and a half later than I had planned. But I was not going to be denied.

So I ironed all of them and got to bed at 2, around the time I would have gone to bed if I had turned on the TV, got onto the internet and only ironed one outfit. But the freedom I gave myself for the rest of the week was going to be worth the 4 hours I got last night.

That illusion came crashing down tonight, because as you can see by the posting time, I'm starting this at 11:30 PST, which is 12:30 my time. I got done with work and immediately did a run. Then I did homework. I didn't turn on the TV or the computer at all. When almost done with my homework, I ordered dinner and watched a little Jeopardy while I ate. Then I turned it off, talked with my wife, and finished my homework. Right in time for 24. And then the blogging began. I hadn't read anything all weekend, and there was so much to catch up on. Looks like I'm going to bed late again. I don't feel so smart any more.

Another reason I'm doubting my genius is the Great American Pop Culture Quiz: Movie Edition in this week's Entertainment Weekly. I did it in the airport and on the plane, and man, did I blow! The score legend says that above 90 is good. I got 90 without the non-movie bonus questions; 113 with. Suffice it to say I had higher expectations for myself. The biggest problem was not my memory, it was not having seen so many damn movies. Mostly the older ones. I'm never going to see all the movies I want, let alone all that I would need to kick ass in Trivial Pursuit. Sigh. A few of the movies featured in my cryptic pregnancy announcement post were featured in the quiz. Here are the answers to my riddles with the ones in the quiz in bold.

Q: "And if I catch the guy that did it!" A: In response to Frank saying, "Oh, congratulations, I understand that Edna's pregnant again."

Q: What's the shortest way to connect Alec Baldwin to Kevin Bacon? A: She's Having a Baby.

Q: What film starring Olympia Dukakis and George Segal re-energized the film careers of two hard-core Scientologists? A: Look Who's Talking (John Travolta and Kirstie Alley are the Scientologists)

Q: Ever see that bad, 80s, business-themed movie starring Diane Keaton? A: Baby Boom.

Q: What connected a "bartender" (Ted Danson), a "private detective" (Tom Selleck) and a "goof-off cop" (Steve Guttenberg) in a remake of a popular French comedy? A: A baby, as in Three Men and a Baby. (TWO questions about this film in the quiz)

Q: Who does nobody put in a corner? A: Baby (from Dirty Dancing)

No one got my tooth-brushing-while-driving movie, which did not make the magazine quiz, either. Only the watergirl even attempted, and for that she gets 200 points and the knowledge that she's better than all of you. ;-)

Just kidding, of course. It would be wrong to judge a person's, or your own, worth on how much stupid movie crap they know.