Wednesday, March 16, 2005

"Money, it's gotta be the shoes!"

I'm training for a marathon. My favorite band's last show ever is on the same day as the marathon, hundreds of miles away. I've been having annoying leg soreness lately. It's not getting better with rest or shorter runs. What do you think the cause of this leg pain could be?

Yup, my shoes! Actually, I don't think the shoes are the problem, because I just bought them in December, and I haven't trained as much this year as I did last year. Maybe my regular shoes are causing problems. It might be because I've been running less this year, but then why is my speed up so much? My legs are obviously strong.

It could be psychosomatic, I guess, but it seems that I was having weird leg problems before I knew about the conflict between the events. I have to decide between these two, and I don't know which I should do. I want to do the marathon, but even more I don't want to be someone who dropped out of a marathon. How do I explain that? Even P Diddy ran the NYC marathon with tendonitis. I loved the feeling of running it last year, with other people encouraging me along the course. Running further than I ever had, finishing among the cheering crowd, under my time goal. I really like running, and want to get better. Maybe qualify for the Boston Marathon some day. Plus there's the financial and familial irresponsibility of the concert trip hanging over me, too.

My wife asked me if I wanted to go to the show just so I could say I had been there. I've been thinking about it, and that's not the reason. I really want to hear what they'll play, hear the last notes they'll play together live, be among a bunch of hometown fans who really love the band like I do, and possible talk to the members after the show. I want to do it because it will be a brief encounter with the musical, bohemian life I've always admired but never had the balls to live.

I never started a band. I only briefly went and lived on my own without a plan or responsibilities and just lived for me. I never had a bunch of punk friends to hang with, see bands with, do crazy shit with. I know that existence isn't ideal. I've seriously romanticized it in my mind, but I don't want to actually do that now. I'm very happy with where my personal life is, but I miss the opportunity I had a long time ago to be a slacker/musician pounding it out as a waiter or clerk during the day and rocking a stage at night. I guess I see the members of Hey Mercedes living the dream I had back in college, and now it's over for them in a way. I just want to be a part of it. Having it be in another city only adds to the excitement.

Reading the above paragraphs, one option comes out as being the one I want to do more. But I'm still torn. I still with I could do both! That would be worth doing just to have the story to tell. ;-)

Sorry this post turned out so wistful and serious. I need to get to bed. I'm up too late, again, and haven't done my cursed ironing.