Friday, May 06, 2005

I'm Half Asleep, It's Friday

I'm not a Bright Eyes listener (should probably check 'em out one of these days) but I thought I'd riff on them for a post title.

News Flash: it just started raining pint-sized water globules outside! Damn!

Globules is a cool word.

Anyway, it's Friday, and I'm tired, and don't have much to say, and I wish people would leave more comments! Didn't anyone enjoy (or get) my Book Meme joke? Oh well.

I was reminded last night of another song to put on my perfect song list:

"Don't Worry Baby" by The Beach Boys. In my book, by far their greatest song (not that I've heard them all) and one of the Greatest America Songs. The fact that it's not perfect makes it so perfect. He crams so many damn syllables into it, it's genius! Listen to the first verse and marvel at the syncopated mouthful! In the chorus, instead of saying "Everything will be alright" and fit it into the rhythm of the song, he adds more words, turning it into "Everything will turn out alright." I don't know why, but that flaunting of convention, the truth and sweetness of the lyrics, and the great falsetto and harmonies make it a Perfect Song. There are several Indigo Girl songs that throw in a too-many-syllables lick here and there, and I love it (when tastefully done).

What? What's so funny? Yeah, I like the Indigo Girls. So what? Well, screw you!

I'm going to be out of town next week, so expect talk of ironing and rambling posts about what I'm watching on TV at 1 am. I bet you can't wait.

Have a nice weekend all!

iPod: "Bedlam Boys" by Michael Penn, "Undone (The Sweater Song)" by Weezer and "This Ruined Puzzle" by Dashboard Confessional.

OH YEAH! I forgot to talk about the ABC special about Paula Abdul and Corey Clark. You know who should be suing ABC? Not Paula (because she SO did it!) but Randy! The shows producers could have just mentioned that Randy used to play with Journey, but they went the extra mile and showed, multiple times, embarrassing footage of Randy, in spandex pants, rocking onstage with Steve Perry. Good on you, ABC! That was great stuff.