Sunday, June 05, 2005

I sense great fear and confusion in you.

Maybe that's why no one has taken a shot at any of the Triple Play questions. Or maybe you're tired of my pretentious games? If so, let me know that, too. I don't discourage negative comments. It means that at least you're reading.

As evidenced by the title, I saw Episode III last night. I liked it, but it was silly. Sure, the transformation of Anakin was abrupt, but I didn't agree with critics who said that the reasons behind his conversion were flimsy and/or non-existent. There were plenty of the annoying Lucas add-ons that are not at all consistent with the original trilogy, like R2-D2 kicking some droid butt with gadgets and abilities he mysteriously loses before Episode 4 begins. He also made some subtle (the ship that takes baby Leia to her hiding place is the same one that is being fired on at the beginning of Ep 4) and not so subtle (everyone's uniforms go from looking cool and hip to matching the ugly ones used in Ep 4) transition efforts at the end. Another silly thing I noticed: apparently they had breast implants a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

The fight scenes were pretty cool, the violence more graphic, and the tone darker. But the script is God, God Awful! Lucas, can't you hire Akiva Goldsman to consult on some of this dialogue? Jesus H. Christ! It made even good actors like Ewan McGregor and Natalie Portman look like podunk dinner theater hacks. But Obi Wan kicks some butt, and is a great character.

Okay, that's enough of the geek talk. "Talk To You Later".

P.S.- I can't resist throwing out trivia stuff. Who sang the song in quotes above, and what was that band's biggest hit?