Thursday, January 19, 2006

Two Real Memes and One I'm Making Up

The Oldest Email Meme, from Bliss and JuicyA.

This one is pretty boring, but it's almost 5 years old. I was working with my current company in Maryland, and they wanted me to move to Denver. Before I agreed, I took a shot at a job at a big DC law firm actually practicing law (which I had recently finished learning how to do) and making the big bucks. Anyway, a classmate of mine already worked there, so I contacted her to get some intel on the firm. I met with 6 people in one day, and it went really well. Not well enough, as you probably guessed. Here is the email, minus some too-revealing information:

Hi, CBK. It's good to hear from you. Give me a call anytime today or tomorrow and we can chat about the Firm. The only times that I know I won't be available are today from 3-5pm and at lunchtime both days. -- Classmate

-----Original Message----- From: CBK Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2001 5:56 PM Subject: Hi there

Hi Classmate, how's life? I left you a voice message today about talking sometime about the Firm and your experience there. I will be interviewing there next Thursday, February 1, for an associate position in the insurance coverage practice group, I believe. I remembered that you were going to work there after school and I found you on their website. I wanted to talk with you about the firm and the experience of working there. I'd also like to see you afterwards if you have time. It sounds like you're doing really interesting work with the firm. I will be out of my office tomorrow and will be unavailable to talk on Friday. Is there a good time tomorrow or Friday night, or this weekend, that you could talk? My current employer doesn't know about the interview, so I want to avoid talking in my office. You can email me at this address, or the one I left for you on your voicemail. Thanks.

The Meme of Fours, from JuicyA and E. McPan.

Four Jobs You've Had:
1. Paper boy - first job.
2. Bus boy/prep cook.
3. Sub maker - still my favorite job ever.
4. UM at a methadone clinic - what's a UM? Euphemistically it was "Unit Manager". In reality, it was "Urine Monitor". I watched junkies pee into cups and made sure they weren't cheating. Please, no "unit" jokes.

Four Movies You Could Watch Over and Over:
1. The Matrix - Whenever it's on TBS, which is seemingly every weekend, I enjoy watching it.
2. The Princess Bride - One of the most awesomest movies ever.
3. A Fish Called Wanda - Cathcart Towers Hotel.
4. Clue - And not just for Colleen Camp in a French maid uniform.

Four Places You Lived
1. Rochester, NY - as a very young child.
2. The Seacoast region of New Hampshire.
3. Washington, DC - during law school.
4. Denver, Colorado - I recommend it. Very cool.

Four TV Shows You Like to Watch
1. 24, baby!
2. Lost
3. Invasion
4. My Name Is Earl

Four Places You've Been on Vacation
1. France
2. Italy
3. Lake Tahoe
4. Kauai, Hawaii

Four Websites You Visit Daily

1. Gorilla Mask
2. The Lemonade Diaries
3. Graculus
4. Crazying Up the Bottle - Moo Cow is one funny guy.

Four of My Favorite Foods

1. Cheesesteak!!!
2. My wife's Chili Rellenos Casserole
3. Pancakes
4. Cheesecake

Four Places I'd Rather Be
1. My home (I'm on the road)
2. Kauai
3. Paris
4. Like E. McPan, at a hockey game.

Four Albums I Can't Live Without
1. Loses Control, Hey Mercedes
2. My Idlewild CD with Captain and early B-sides
3. Beethoven's 9th Symphony, The Cleveland Symphony Orchestra, George Szell conductor
4. Star, Belly

No tags

My Made-Up Meme - Story of meeting a girl/boy friend's family or them meeting yours, kind of from Anonymous CoWorker.

Now I must warn you that this story isn't nearly as funny as ACW's. In fact, it's probably not funny at all. It will also definitely "out" me to my ex-wife if she ever stumbles upon my blog. But hopefully it will inspire some other more amusing/horrifying stories from others. Here goes:

I was living in DC with my girlfriend/future ex-wife when I was in law school. My girlfriend was not a fellow classmate, but someone I met on Match.com. That's right, I'm unashamed to admit it. Don't let the fact of our divorce discourage you from online dating, though. Anyway, an important thing to know is that my girlfriend was a Southerner from North Carolina. Her parents are pretty conservative, archetypical Southerners, as well. Her two siblings and their spouses planned a ski trip to Snowshoe in West Virginia, and invited us. I had never met any of them before. The trip went very well. It was my first time really skiing, and I got along with everyone really well. The twist occurred after we left and her brother returned home to North Carolina. My girlfriend's parents were eager to find out about me from the brother. So he told them that I was a nice guy, that they had a great time. And he also told them, matter-of-factly, that I was black. I didn't see their reaction, but apparently they were speechless and it was quite hilarious.

I'll keep my no-tag policy in effect, but I'd love to see some of you write your own stories. Juicy, I'm sure you have a great story.