Monday, August 15, 2005

I'd like your help

First of all, I'm not really changing the name of the site. Sometimes you just have to commit to a joke, you know. :-)

I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around some things.

First is the issue of George Bush's humanity. As explained VERY favorably in this Newsweek article, Bush is a very compassionate (and apparently very touchy) man who shares moments of deep emotion and caring with families of dead service men and women. According to the article, Bush's meetings aren't screened for partisan supporters, there's no script, and the media isn't allowed inside. The emotion and fatigue he shows after these meetings is quite convincing to those present, and I have no real reason to doubt that it's genuine. I can't imagine what it would be like to meet with surviving family members of slain soldiers, ESPECIALLY if it was universally believed, good or bad, that I bore responsibility for their deaths. Being in that situation would be unfathomably difficult.

But where was that humanity during the rush to war? He knew that people would die, and that the justifications they used were bunk. I can understand supporters of the war justifying it now as part of the essential war on terror, necessary to promote democracy and stability in a chaotic area traditionally hostile to American interests, blah blah blah; but I can't take anyone seriously who believes that the invasion was justified AT THE TIME OF THE INVASION for the reasons given by the Administration, the reasons/marketing pitches that the Administration has since been forced to abandon. The war has become necessary because of the invasion; a self-fulfilling prophecy of sorts. But that should be no comfort to the families of the dead. Like the woman who is camping out across from Bush's ranch during his 5-week vacation. Where is his compassion for her. He still refuses to meet with her (although he has met with her in the past, during one of his base visits, I believe).

From whence comes all this emotion? Is he feeling regret or guilt for sticking to an arguably ill-advised policy decision that had too many human casualties? Is he a pawn in a larger machine, for which he is the unfortunate figurehead who must face these families? Is he a brilliant empath/actor that turns it on for these families and then is back on the warhawk train when he's back in the limo? Or are both his forceful resolve and heartfelt remorse absurdly consistent in his mind? I don't know, what are your thoughts?

The article actually makes me feel sympathy for him and the burden he carries. That sympathy will never make me a supporter. He could have avoided all of this misery had he just not run for President in the first place, or had his legal teams not fought the Florida recount so successfully (I'll refrain from any election-stealing allegations here). He asked for it, and it's good to know that he's paying some kind of price, although not as great a price as some who didn't ask for it.

Issue two is this Burger King ad campaign for the new Chicken Fries. WHAT THE FUCK?!?!? If you haven't seen the surreal commercials, they've formed a hard rock band of men in disturbing chicken costumes that sing songs about Chicken Fries. The band's name is Coq Roq. COQ ROQ! This is their website, where you can hear their songs and learn more about them. I guess because I'm writing about it, it's an effective campaign*; but I wanted to try the fries the second I saw a picture of them in a coupon mailer, when I was blissfully unaware of Coq Roq. (BTW, they were okay. Taste like chicken-flavored mozzarella sticks.) Check out the site for a head trip. The refrain of one of the songs is "Nice box!"

I mean, really, what the fuck!?!?!

UPDATE: I just checked out the lyrics section. I love the second verse of "Cross the Road". Hilarious!

*Sadly, I was not paid to write up the band or the fries. I should have been, though.