Thursday, June 09, 2005

The Post Where I Inadvertently Make My Wife Feel Bad By Being Honest

Last night I stayed up late to read blogs, and ended up checking out a new band and trying to find info on Moneen, a band I've seen live and would like to hear more of. The new band is Motion City Soundtrack, and I'm really digging their new album. You can hear it on their website (which appears to be down right now). Do they remind anyone else of The Outfield, from the 80s (still together, btw!)? You know: "I Don't Want to Lose Your Love Tonight"? I really liked that band, with the high-pitched singing and harmonies. The new MCS album reminds me of them (not every song), but with more energy and speed. MCS is coming to my town with This Is Me Smiling in July, and I. will. be. there.

Anyway, I started feeling a bit sad about how I no longer listen to a lot of music, see a lot of movies, play my guitar, or write songs anymore. I've taken a different path now as a family/career man. There's just not the time or money to do those things anymore. I've got responsibilities now, and I just have to let go of the old loves to some extent. That's why I subscribe to Entertainment Weekly. It's my only source for info on what's going on in the entertainment world, and it gives me a heads-up on things I otherwise would miss. BTW, how did I discover Hey Mercedes? I saw their name on the college music chart published in EW one week and downloaded some songs. I don't think I could ever repay that debt to EW, considering the joy I've received from the band. This decline in consuming pop culture products is not new. I've been slowly reducing my intake ever since I got involved with the woman that would become my first wife, when I had to compromise on what I would have done by myself to do something with another person.

I certainly don't blame my ex-wife, my wife now, or my sons (age 5 and yet-to-be born). I love my life now and feel I'm on a truly happy path (as long as I can make enough money to get rid of my insane student debt). It's just like being sad that I can't do a cartwheel anymore, or spend summer evenings playing whiffleball until it's too dark to see the ball. Life moves on, and you move on to new places, people, and activities. Even though the old things are gone, there's always new things to love and enjoy. There's nothing in the entire world, past or present, that I would trade my family for. Absolutely nothing.

So enough of the wistful writing, how about some good-natured griping? Have you ever stayed up late and got hungry for a treat? And when you looked in the freezer/fridge/cupboard you didn't see anything that appealed to you? So you got a bright idea to make something up with ingredients you have at hand? Like graham crackers, peanut butter, chocolate chips and Cool Whip? Hey, me too! That's what happened to me last night, in fact. So I broke up the graham crackers and put them in a bowl, put in some peanut butter, mixed/crushed it up, added the chocolate chips, mixed it up some more, put it in the microwave for 45 seconds, stirred the melty mix, and topped it generously with Cool Whip. We've all been there, right? Well, at about the time I started this plan, my wife woke up and came into the kitchen and "poo-pooed" my culinary creation! She was not impressed, and let me know it. I've never seen someone so judgmental about dessert. So what if she was right that it wouldn't actually taste very good. That's beside the point. (I ate it all, of course.) She's my wife. She should support my creativity with a smile on her face. Plus she's pregnant, so I'm surprised she didn't want some herself.

I love you so much, Sweetie! :-) :-*

iPod: "Waterproof" by Thanks to Gravity, switched to MCS on purevolume.com.

P.S.- I also ran last night! It's been over a month since I last ran. I don't know why, but I looked outside at about 8 and just decided to do it. I'm going to try to do it every night at around 8 from now on. Let's hope I can keep it up.

P.P.S- You know I was joking in the dessert part, right?