Sunday, February 27, 2005

Hold the votes!

I just realized something this morning. Hilary Swank is not new to playing a fighter, the role for which she is an Oscar favorite tonight. She's been down this road before. Young woman trying to make it as a fighter, joins up with old, grizzled trainer who becomes father figure, and they both help each other find redemption of some sort. Does THIS ring any bells? I say this has to be considered by the Academy. I think the two works should cancel each other out and Imelda Staunton or Annette Bening should be given the prize. That's just my two cents.

I haven't heard anyone bring up the glaring similarity of the two roles before. I wonder why. Could it be a conspiracy!?

UPDATE: Well, the Miyagi Conspiracy Project worked. Swank takes the Oscar. Poor Annette. I don't think she deserved it for American Beauty, but this year, from all I read, she had a legitimate shot. It's got to suck to lose twice to the same person.