Monday, February 07, 2005

First Annual CBK ad awards

This is where I presumptuously name my favorite Super bowl commercials, as if what I think means anything.

Well, the GoDaddy.com ad was a fave, for obvious reasons. But the fact that they lampooned the "wardrobe malfunction" in front of a Congressional committee instead of any other scenario they could have was a nice touch. Follow that link to see the TV ad and an "uncensored" version. Apparently, GoDaddy bought time for two ads, but the NFL and Fox pulled the second one. What the hell is this world coming to? Fucking prudes!

CareerBuilder's Yeknom Corp. ads were pretty funny. I liked the last one when a chimp literally kissed the boss's butt.

FedEx gets the best self-conscious ad award for their Super Bowl commercial send-up. But really, a bear kicking Burt Reynolds in the crotch was what made it so good.

Worst fleet of commercials goes to Anheuser-Busch, usually a perennial powerhouse. The Cedric ads were pretty lame, and the troops in the airport one I'll get to later. The only good one was the sky-diving for Bud Lite ad.

In a three award sweep, A-B's troops getting a standing ovation in an airport ad wins the Cheesiest ad, the "Positive Image Whore" award and the "You can't criticize this ad without hating freedom" award. At least someone should have handed one of the soldiers a Bud. I mean, c'mon! It's a commercial for a product.

Ford gets Stupidest Ad for the biker commercial. Not only are their trucks tough, but apparently they "make YOU tough." Let's see how many fights get started by F-150 owners now. Idiotic.

Best Comeback Award goes to MC Hammer, for his self-deprecating star turns in both the Lays Potato Chips and Nationwide Insurance commercials. Hammer, don't hurt 'em!

But Best Fleet and Best Overall ad both go to a company I can't remember, which undercuts their win, I know, but these awards are about the ads' concepts and content, not advertising effectiveness. I think it was First Security Mortgage, or something like that. Their inadvertent convenience store stick up ad was great, but the boyfriend skinning the cat ad was the tops of the night. It was brief, funny, and not TOO unlikely a scenario to depict. Of course, it was also a bit disturbing to me because I love cats, but even I could see the inherent quality behind the commercial. Good job, whatever your name is. May you now thrive and actually get people to remember your name.

These awards are all so arbitrary. Every commercial is a winner for blowing millions of dollars for a few seconds of air time.

See you next year.

P.S.- If anyone can help me think of a snappy name for these awards, I'd sure appreciate it.

iPod: "Welcome to the Occupation" by R.E.M. and "Scorpio Come" by Thanks to Gravity.