Monday, January 17, 2005

Greetings from the Great White North, eh!

I'm north of the border this week, on a business trip that promises lots of non-excitement. The weather is actually pretty nice. Apparently I missed the ungodly cold that was here last week. I've been traveling to this city for the last 4 years, and I actually really enjoy it. Nice people, hot women, and tv sports channels show a lot of hockey even without an NHL season.

When I travel, two of my really bad habits flourish: eating and staying up late. Okay, there's a third bad habit, too, but we won't talk about that one.

Expensed food is the devil! I brought my running clothes, but I've got a lot to work against already! I DID run tonight, though! I'm planning on doing 4 runs this week.

In hotels I just do not go to bed. The TV keeps me up, and no matter how exhausted I get I will keep channel surfing. I saw some interesting things last night. You can try really hard to find a worse movie than Windtalkers, but dollar for dollar, you won't find one. OMG! I only watched the last 45 minutes, but I can't imagine the previous hour or so could possibly redeem the latter half. At least the writers had the decency to kill Nick Cage at the end. (If that spoiler upsets you, you are a sad, sad person.) Or maybe he begged them to change the script and off him. I would have asked that they replace the blanks in the guns with real slugs. I'm no fan of John Woo, but this movie surprised me with it's horribleness. And I didn't even see his trademark birds. They must have been in the first half. I'm curious to know where they shot the film's finale, because it looked just like the shrubby hills in the opening credits of M.A.S.H. Weird.

I also saw a very oxymoronic ad for the Ab Lounge. These people are either brilliant or daft. Let's sell an exercise machine that let's you lie down in a big chair, and let's use a word that connotes laziness in the name. Americans are amazing. I'd love to market my own weight loss program, with books, tapes and DVDs. For just 3 easy payments of $39.95, you'll get me telling you to eat 1 bowl of cereal, 1 bowl of soup, 1 Lean Cuisine, and drink shit loads of water every day. Then get off your lazy butt and walk/jog in the morning and do light calisthenics at night during tv commercials. I'll be rich, people will lose gobs of weight, and everyone will be happy. And I can start to pay off those damn student loans.

I had some work to do today, but the next few days are going to be a challenge. It will be a long, boring week. Don't worry, you'll get to share in some of it as I post. Lucky you!

No iPod: I bring it for the plane rides, and don't have speakers for the hotel room. Plus, of course, the tv's on.

P.S.- What the hell is wrong with the people behind Fear Factor? Tonight's couples episode really out-did the show's previous levels of vileness by flooding people's faces with raw sewage. It was really gross, and totally obscured the women's bikini tops. They must have really alienated their primary audience.