Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Tales of Incompetence

Bored, bored, bored.

I've made the calls I needed to. Researched the answers I was asked to find. Sent the emails to appropriate people, with carbon copies. Played Yeti Sports without coming close to getting any high scores. Now what?

So last week, my esteemed colleague (the lazy bastard I wrote about here) tells me that since he's got so much going on two days before New Year's Eve, he'll call me Monday morning for us to complete our project status reports for the boss. Monday at about 2 PM, he calls from his cell phone. Why he wasn't in his home "office" I don't know. He tells me that he decided to cut his vacation short (?!?!?!?! There's no vacation on the calendar!) because he's got a lot going on, and that he'll call me first thing Tuesday morning to do the status report, before his conference call at 10 am.

Cut to Tuesday morning. It's 9:40 and he hasn't called yet. I decide not to call him because I'm lazy, and it's not my usual practice to make sure people deliver on their promises. He finally calls at about 1:30 and says, "You may have noticed that I didn't call you this morning." Yes, I did, and it was sweet bliss! "I've got another conference call at 4 (more than 2 hours away) that I need to get ready for, so I'm going to call you tomorrow morning to do the report." Okay, fucker. Works for me.

Wednesday morning. 8:30- no call. 9:00- no call. 9:30- no call. A little before 10 I get a call from a client , whom I called the day before. We talk about the business at hand. At 10, Busy Bee calls, but I'm on the phone. A short while later, I get an email from him, saying that the status report is attached, and if I have any additions to make, go ahead. (BTW the reports are normally due on the 2nd of the month, so Monday the 3rd for this month). One major problem, though. THE REPORT'S NOT ATTACHED!!!! So the business manager to whom he also sent the report emailed him back alerting him to the fact that there's no report attached.

It's 2:00. No response yet. Amazing!

Can you tell this guy gets me worked me up?

iPod: "Mrs. Robinson" by Simon and Garfunkel.