Thursday, May 11, 2006

What do you think I look like?

You'll have to humor me while I explain my thought process for this post. You may have noticed that when bloggers make their links list for other blogs, they sometimes come up with clever phrases to use instead of the blog names. I'm obviously not one of these creative types, but I've seen the efforts of others with my blog name and I've come to a conclusion: not only is my blog's name weird, but it doesn't easily lend itself to being translated into a catchy or clever phrase. I think my favorite so far was "Lick some salt and beat Nick", which I believe belonged to The Sarcastrix, but if so, she doesn't use it anymore. With that realization I remembered a time in high school when a friend of mine, who is a really good artist, was drawing caricatures of other kids. I asked him to do me, and he looked at me, started to draw, looked at me again, looked at the paper, then looked up and said "I can't!" I have no idea why he felt incapable of drawing me, but ever since I've stayed away from sidewalk caricature artists. I don't know if my features are too bland to be caricature-ized, or if to draw a goofy version of me is so easy it would be offensive. I don't really want to know, so I'll never have it done. I'm genuinely afraid of what the drawing will look like.

That fear will not, however, keep me from inviting strangers to take a shot at it. I know some of you are artistically inclined (TGIC and Lisa the Knitter, I'm looking in your directions) and others like to fool around with MS Paint (Rachel). So I now call on anyone who reads this to sketch what you think I look like. Even if you've met me or have seen a full picture, go ahead and draw me. JustaGirl already did an MS Paint drawing of me after our meeting that was pretty accurate. You can go check that out here for a place to start. Any medium will do: pencil, ink, charcoal, squiggly digital lines, etc. Just get it in jpeg or gif format and email it to me. I can't wait to see what you come up with.* You can show as much or as little of me as you like. The only rule is that you include my face.

* If you think you're funny and you send in a drawing of a pig or an Orc or something, I'll still post it just to show the world how immature you are. Even if that would be a badge of honor for you.

iPod: "God, Give Me Strength" by Elvis Costello (lots of him today), "Union Federal" by Phish (all 25+ minutes of it!), and "Pitseleh" by Elliott Smith.