Thursday, September 29, 2005

Trust Me

I'm a bigger geek than you. Fan-boy geek, anyway. The Idlewild show last night totally fucking rocked! The opening act, Inara George, was very good. Looks a bit like Natalie Imbruglia and sings a bit like Tanya Donelly, but I won't pigeon-hole her. She's unique. A bit more low-key than I usually like, but definitely a good band and great voice. I bought a t-shirt during the opening set and chatted with Idlewild's guitar player at the merch table. Of course, I didn't know he was in the band until I asked him (Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!). I asked if there was any chance the band was going to play "Annihilate Now", a true Idlewild oldie, and he said he doesn't even remember how to play it. I bet it's been a long time since they played that one.

The Idlewild set was awesome! They were a lot louder than I expected, but pretty laid back and joking between songs. I think the band was a little disappointed in the size of the crowd, which probably topped out at 50, max. The people who were there were very enthusiastic and vocal, though. Just between you and me, I didn't see anyone dancing as frenetically as I was. I was going to write the set list out here, but I've got something even better. Check it out!

Awww Yeeeah!

That's right, the set list autographed by all the band members! The encore was a cover of The Ramones' "I Wanna Be Sedated" and they rocked the shit out of it. I talked to 4 of the guys and they were all really nice. Roddy retreated to the bus after the show and the bass player took the set list in for me to get his John Hancock. Told you I was a super geek.

But as good as the show was, as excited as I was to meet the guys and get the signed setlist, the thing that had me the most star-struck was meeting none other than these two:

DOOCE!!!

Right again, it's Jon and Heather B. Armstrong, more commonly known as Dooce and her husband. During Inara's set I saw Heather walk in, thought she looked familiar, saw the camera on her shoulder, and knew it was her. I couldn't resist. I went up to her and said, "Heather?" I told her I recognized her from the site, that I was a reader, and introduced myself. Jon came in soon after and I met him, too. I'm sure I was pretty intrusive just accosting them like that, but they were super nice. They're also both much taller than I expected! We chatted about blogging, about the new baby, about Salt Lake neighborhoods, about music. Heather is a fan of Idlewild (she jumped around and shook her booty heartily during the show), but the reason she was there is because Idlewild's drummer, Colin, is a Dooce reader! He emailed Heather about the show and asked her to come. Heather and Jon took a bunch of pictures, but I'm not sure if they're going to put any on her site. I hope they do.

I actually haven't read her site in a while, because I've been adding so many new ones to my reading, but I used to read twice a day and she was definitely an inspiration for me to start blogging. I told her the name of this blog, but it was a little loud in there and I doubt she would remember it, but if she finds her way to this site, "Welcome, Dooce, and it was great to meet you and Jon."

So overall it was a pretty great night! I taped Lost and Invasion and hopefully I'll get a chance to watch them tonight, so nobody tell me anything about them.

Now it's time to do an all-Idlewild iPod shuffle!

iPod: "Smile" by Pearl Jam, "Greyhound" by Pond, "This Is A Call" by Foo Fighters, "I Hate Myself" by The Dead Milkmen, Toob Amplifier" by The Presidents of the United States of America, "Cowtown" by They Might Be Giants, "Dolores" by Braid, "Again I Go Unnoticed" by Dashboard Confessional, and "Long Way Down" by Guster.